Friday, December 3, 2010

Buckwheat and Black Bean Soup *updated*

I made this batch of Buckwheat and Black Bean Soup this morning before I went to bed after work. It turned out alright. Next time...I'll be leaving out the lime juice though. I liked it a lot more before I put the juice in. I actually almost didn't because I had a feeling that I might not like it, but thought...no, no, it's in the recipe for a reason. Ugh. Big mistake.

Recipe:
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
1/4 cup kasha or buckwheat groats
1 tsp chili powder
2 cups veggie stock
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or 1 15oz can black beans
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp lime juice
Salt and pepper

Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute 5 minutes. Add garlic, kasha and chili powder and saute 3 minutes more. Stir in broth, beans, carrots, corn, bay leaf and 2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes or until kasha is tender. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.

(recipe courtesy of www.vegetariantimes.com)

I did not use any cilantro as I do not really like it and did not have any on hand. I also only used 1 Tbsp of lime juice. Personally, I will not use any lime juice next time I make it. I added a little cumin to my soup as well.

...I seem to never follow recipes anymore! I remember when I was little, I would yell at my mom for not following recipes because I thought they were written in stone and HAD to be followed. I now know I was completely wrong and have turned into my mother and never follow them at all!

No comments: