Friday, December 18, 2009

Homemade Lip Balm

Since the theme of Christmas for us was homemade, I decided to make some lip balm for the ladies. Because I had never made lip balm before I went with a really simple recipe. Less ingredients = less loss if it doesn't work, right?!

(sorry for the slightly blurry photo, this was taken with my phone)

This recipe is soooo simple!

  • 1/4 cup beeswax shavings not compacted, but not super loose (make sense? haha)
  • a tiny bit less than a 1/4 cup sweet almond oil
  • a few drops of whatever essential oils you prefer

I say a tiny bit less than 1/4 cup oil because when I used a full 1/4 cup I felt it was slightly too oily. Simply combine the wax and almond oil in a glass microwave approved vessel and nuke at 30 second intervals stirring in between each. Do this until completely melted but not burnt. The first time around I added the oils to the lip balm jars (only if using jars) until I figured out the desired scent. (Usually 3-6) Then simply fill the jars or tubes with the wax/almond oil mix and stir! Once I've gauged how many containers a batch makes I just mixed the proper amount of essential oils into the wax/almond oil blend.

You should try it! Simply adjust things to the way you like it, but this is a good starting point :) Some people like to add honey to this recipe...I wasn't a fan, because my honey never seemed to mix into the wax/almond oil blend well. Good luck and happy melting!

2 comments:

Lia said...

That's a really lovely idea for a present.
I'm sure the ladies will love it.
If you go to Martha Stewards web-site you can find templates for sticky labels, that you can print off and use. If that's any help to you.
Much love
Lia
xx

LacyHolly said...

Thanks Lia! I'll check em out! :)