Saturday, December 19, 2009

Squeaky Clean

I've wanted to learn how to make my own soap for a while now and Christmas seemed to be the perfect reason to learn! It would make a nice addition to the other homemade gifts we're giving.

My brother had made soap before so I emailed him asking him for his recipe. When told me that he would bring the recipe and the stuff needed to make it up with him when he came up for Thanksgiving, I was thrilled!

I was so excited to make it that I asked him to show me how to make it the day after he arrived, haha. He brought the recipe and enough lye for two batches of soap. We quickly made a run to the store and picked up the olive oil, shortening and coconut oil. That's it! That's all you need for a basic bar of soap. Simple enough, right?!

The lye scares me because it is a little dangerous if you don't know what you're doing with it...and I didn't have a clue! You must be careful to make sure you don't get any on your skin! However, we made it through the soap making process without incident.

After we made the soap was the hard part...you have to wait 3-4 weeks before you can use it!

No comments: