Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Turbo Antioxidant Soup...

This soup = amazingness!

My mom had given me the recipe for this soup and I have to admit, I was scared at first. I didn't think there was any way I was going to like it.

I have it stuck in my head that I do not like sweet potatoes...even though I have had sweet potato fries and loved them, a sweet potato burrito and enjoyed it and now in this soup and loved it! You just have to try it! : )

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 medium onions, diced
  • 2 sweet potatoes, diced
  • 3 cans kidney beans, drained
  • 3 cans black beands, drained
  • 1/3 tsp oregano
  • two 32oz cartons of veggie broth (or chicken broth, if you must)
  • 2 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 4 packages spinach
  • 8 cups kale
  • 2 cups soy beans (or roasted chicken pieces, if you must)
  • diced red bell pepper
  • 1 tbsp parmesan cheese

Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Saute oinions for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, except red pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and lightly boil until sweet potatoes are soft (12-15minutes.) Taste and adjust seasonings. Garnish with red pepper and parmesan cheese before serving if desired.

This makes a lot of soup!!! I ended up adding a few more cups water because all of the ingredients wouldn't fit in the amount of broth provided. I didn't even get all my kale and spinach in because my large soup pot was full and just couldn't take any more! I also didn't have any oregano on hand so I simply left it out...still amazing! I ended up adding more salt to the pot of soup and actually to the bowls of soup as well.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made this soup last night...LOVE IT!!!